History of Tylney Park
The original land that the golf course is built on is directly linked to the Hall and the history of the land and the Hall lay hand in hand until the late 1940’s.
The first Tylney Hall was built in 1700, although a mansion had existed on the site since the 16th century. In 1725 the estate passed through the female line to Richard Child, Viscount Castlemaine, later Earl of Tylney. An extensive formal landscape was laid out during his ownership.
Following the marriage in 1812 of Catherine Tylney Long to William Wellesley Pole and their later financial difficulties, the mansion was demolished and the valuable timber on the estate was sold. Between 1857 and 1878 the property was unoccupied. During the 1870s Charles E Harris gradually began to purchase land on the estate, finally acquiring over 3000 acres (around 1215 hectares). Harris then commissioned Edward Birchett to build a new mansion on the site of the 18th-century house. This was extensively altered between 1899 and 1901 by Seldon Wornum for Sir Lionel Philips; Wornum also laid out formal gardens, including the Italian Terrace, Dutch Garden, and the kitchen garden.
Robert Weir Schultz carried out further work on the Hall from 1901 to 1904 and was called in by Lady Philips ‘to lay out the beds and formal parts of a luxurious garden layout including orangery, greenhouses, summer houses, boathouse etc’ (Victorian Society notes). In 1906 Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932) was called in to supply Schultz with a design and planting plans for a Wild Garden, and for flower borders in the gardens. Phillips sold Tylney before the First World War and during the war the Hall was used as a hospital. It was sold again in 1919 to Major Cayzer, later Lord Rotherwick, who sold the estate in 1933 to his shipping line, and it became the headquarters of the Clan Line.
In 1946 the Hall and park were sold to Middlesex County Council and the Hall was converted into a residential home. The park was then sold on to Tylney Golf Club and when Middlesex County Council was abolished the Hall and remaining grounds were taken over by Brent Borough Council. In 1984 Brent Borough Council sold the Hall and the 25 hectares garden to Celebrated Country Hotels, in whose ownership they remain (2000). Brent Borough Council retained part of the parkland for use as an outdoor education centre and the remaining parkland continues as a golf course.